Natural alternative health remedies have gained popularity for their potential benefits in hair care. Black seed oil for hair has emerged as among the popular choices.
Black seed oil, or Nigella Sativa oil, is a natural oil known for its various health benefits. It is a rich source of different vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants for improving hair health.
Read on to learn more about:
- The possible effects of black seed oil on hair health
- Relevant studies and scientific evidence on how it improves your hair’s condition
- Some tips for using black seed oil
Composition of Black Seed Oil
Here are the nutrients contained in these natural oils, including their hair health benefits:
- Thymoquinone – This is the key component of black seed oil. It has anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties. It promotes scalp health by addressing problems like dandruff. It will keep the scalp moisturized to prevent hair loss.
- Zinc – This is an essential nutrient that regulates your hormone levels. That is why it is effective in treating and preventing hair loss. Also, it increases keratin production, the protein that makes up the hair follicles.
- Niacin - Also known as vitamin B3, this helps to improve circulation to the scalp. Thus, it can stimulate hair growth. A study also suggests that it can increase hair fullness.
- Vitamin E - This is an antioxidant that reduces the amount of free radicals and oxidative stress. (Free radicals are unstable molecules that cause your hair follicles on the scalp to break down. It will make your healthy hair dry, brittle, and prone to breakage.) Vitamin E will help neutralize free radicals and promote hair growth.
- Magnesium – This mineral helps reduce stress to prevent thinning hair or hair fall. It also plays a vital role in protein synthesis, which supports a healthy hair growth cycle.
The Black seed oil also contains other nutrients that promote hair regrowth. These include calcium, iron, and potassium.
The black seed oil also contains the following essential fatty acids:
- Linoleic acid - This is an omega-6 fatty acid that promotes healthy growth in all hair types. It also keeps your skin healthy and helps to reduce inflammation.
- Oleic acid - This omega-9 fatty acid reduces hair fall and prevents dry hair. It also lowers cholesterol levels.
- Palmitic acid - This is a saturated fatty acid that is an important component of cell membranes. It helps to provide energy.
Important Note: Your body can't produce essential fatty acids. Thus, you need to get them from your diet.
Essential fatty acids play a role in many important bodily functions, such as:
- Keeping the skin and hair healthy by providing moisture and nutrients. They reduce inflammation, which can lead to hair loss and dandruff.
- Providing energy by being converted into ketones. Ketones are a type of fuel that the body can use when it is not getting enough glucose from food.
- Lowering cholesterol levels by increasing the production of HDL (good) cholesterol and decreasing the production of LDL (bad) cholesterol.
How Black Seed Oil Helps Your Hair
Here’s what black seed oil can do to your hair:
Soothes your scalp condition
The anti-inflammatory properties of the black seed extract can soothe scalp conditions caused by sensitivity, flakiness, and inflammation. It also kills fungi, viruses, and microbes that may be living on the surface.
Additionally, it helps moisturize your scalp and balances oil production.
Curbs potential hair fall
The black seed oil contains different nutrients that provide nourishment for your hair follicle cells, preventing hair loss. And because it contains essential amino acids, it also helps moisturize the hair shaft.
Softens and conditions your hair
The fatty acids in this oil help soften, strengthen, and condition your hair strands.
Note that not every scalp produces a similar amount of sebum, making hair range from oily to dry. This essential oil normalizes oil production to ensure that your hair remains well-conditioned but not greasy.
Promotes blood circulation
The omega-3 and 6 biomolecules in black seed oil encourage healthy blood circulation in your head and scalp. As a result, your hair can rapidly grow healthily in just a week.
Prevents greying of hair
Black seed oil is crucial in preventing your hair from turning grey by improving the performance of the cells responsible for pigmentation. That way, your hair will continue its natural growth cycle.
Using Black Seed Oil for Hair
You can use black seed extract for hair in three different ways:
1. Scalp massage
Applying black seed oil and massaging it to your scalp is probably the easiest way to use it. Warm the oil before using it.
Gently massage the oil to your scalp for 5-10 minutes. Then, apply it to your hair, from roots to tips. Allow it to sit for several hours or overnight before washing your locks.
2. Hair mask
You can use it as a hydrating hair mask. Apply it to your hair and scalp. Let it sit for a few hours before washing your hair. And viola – witness its hydrating power!
You may also add other oils in equal amounts when creating your hair mask. Choose between avocado oil, coconut oil, olive oil, and essential oils like Tea Tree oil.
3. Oral consumption
Black seed oil can also be taken as a supplement. However, ensure to follow the instructions written on the product’s label to avoid any potential adverse effects.
Possible side effects of Black Seed Oil
Generally, Black Seed Extract as a supplement is safe for most people. But it is still important for you to know that it may interact with the other medicines you are taking. Among these side effects are:
- Skin rash
- Nausea and vomiting
For this reason, consult your healthcare professional before taking black seed oil as a supplement. And if you experience any of these side effects, stop using it and speak to your physician.
Children, pregnant and lactating mothers should avoid taking black seed oil remedies without consulting their doctors for safety reasons.
Adults can take Black Seed Oil in 1-2.5 grams orally per day for up to 12 weeks.
The Infinite Age Black Seed Extract
Our Black Seed Extract is 3rd-party tested and is packed with all essential nutrients, including:
- Folic Acid
Additionally, our supplements are vegan-friendly, all-natural, non-GMO, gluten-free, and don’t contain any preservatives.
Taking the daily recommended dose of our Black Seed Oil will help
- Improve your skin and hair
- Battle bad cholesterol
- Support health joints
- Supercharge your immune system
Black Seed Oil offers promising benefits for your hair. Its nutrient-rich composition is combined with antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, contributing to its beneficial effects.
Though some scientific studies have highlighted the positive impact of Black Seed Extract on your hair, it’s essential that you consult a healthcare professional before adding it to your daily hair care routine.
Moreover, further research is needed to fully understand this product’s mechanisms of action and optimize its usage for various hair and medical conditions.